Victims of Crime - U-Visa | Law Office of Alexandra Mayen Rivera
755 New York Ave, Suite 420Huntington, NY 11743

Site Language:

Victims of Crime - U-Visa

The U nonimmigrant status, also known as the U visa, allows for victims of certain crimes that have reported and cooperated with law enforcement or government officials, to obtain legal status in the United States. The spouse and children under 21 years old of the crime victim can also receive U nonimmigrant status. If the victim was under 21 years old, a spouse, children, parents, and unmarried siblings under 18 may be included in the petition.

You are eligible for U nonimmigrant status if:

  • you are the victim of a qualifying crime (see below);
  • you have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of having been a victim of criminal activity;
  • you have information about the criminal activity;
  • you were or continue to be helpful to law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of the crime;
  • the crime occurred in the United States or violated U.S. laws; and
  • you are admissible to the U.S.

Qualifying crimes: Abduction, Abusive Sexual Contact, Blackmail, Domestic Violence, Extortion, False Imprisonment, Female Genital Mutilation, Felonious Assault, Fraud in Foreign Labor Contracting, Hostage, Incest, involuntary Servitude, Kidnapping, Manslaughter, Murder, Obstruction, of Justice, Peonage, Perjury, Prostitution, Rape, Sexual Assault, Sexual Exploitation, Slave Trade, Stalking, Torture, Trafficking, Witness Tampering, and Unlawful Criminal Restraint.

After being under the U nonimmigrant status for 3 years, you may apply for legal permanent resident status and obtain green card if you meet certain eligibility requirements.

If you have been the victim of a serious crime, contact our office for a consultation.

Call Now

(631) 350-6070